Hello, Geminis! I had so much fun writing and sharing the Astrology & Self-Care series that began with Gemini season 2020. So much fun, in fact, that I plan to keep this as an ongoing series for the blog but each time expanding upon the previous post. For 2021, I hope to solicit feedback from my readers who embody each of the Zodiac signs.
To get us started, one of my dear friends, Jackie, is a Gemini. I asked her to share her thoughts from the Gemini perspective on the tips provided in this post. She warned me to be careful asking “Gems” for feedback as you may get a novel (which I did), but I love the great feedback she provided.
Overall, Jackie felt that these tips for practicing self-care as a Gemini resonated with her. She identified that it did not resonate in two places, and that was around breathing exercises. She noted practicing breathing exercises while listening to music would be more appealing to Geminis as they often need to be multitasking…even while relaxing. Secondly, Jackie feels that yoga and meditation are difficult. Still, she suggests engaging in a Vinyasa flow yoga class where you constantly move or are “in-flow” while working on your breathing.
Jackie stressed the importance of keeping your mind moving and engaged, so the Gemini is never bored! Jackie loves having a workout buddy to help pass the time, and she definitely enjoys group exercise classes. She also loves connecting with childhood pastimes as they can be very comforting, noting that this is because Geminis are kids at heart.
Engaging in online communities is something Jackie enjoys, especially during COVID, to help support the relationship domain. She takes pleasure in giving advice and sharing interesting information. Jackie recommends using a Fidget Spinner or another sensory tool to keep her hands busy, and she loves spending time in nature. Both are essential aspects of her self-care. She also enjoys journaling and knows that it is a great tool for Geminis to express themselves.
Lastly, Jackie also proposed Geminis spice up their water with some lemon and lime or even mint and cucumbers. Yummy!
Gemini & Self-Care
Welcome to Gemini season. Anyone born between May 21 – June 21 is a Gemini, according to Astrology. In a previous blog post, I introduced self-care according to the zodiac, and as promised, we looked at all 12 signs over the past year. However, it should be noted that even if you are not a Gemini, these self-care tips may be of interest to you. Perhaps you are born on the cusp of Gemini, or you are another air sign. So, if you see something here you want to try, please feel free to do so.
The following is my takeaway on Gemini from “The Astrological Guide to Self-Care” by Constance Stellas.
Gemini, which means “the twins” in Latin, is the first of the air signs in the zodiac. One of only three human represented signs, Gemini, symbolizes the duality between the conscious and the divine mind giving way to some characteristics that may resemble a split personality. Intellectual by nature, Gemini’s have a love of learning but need guidance when it pertains to the physical realm. A sensitive nervous system and an overactive mind can make concentrating for long periods a challenge for this sign. Not particularly interested in self-care, Gemini’s can forget to eat or exercise due to getting lost in an intellectual pursuit. However, once a Gemini reads and researches about self-care, they can begin to buy into its importance.
Breathing exercises that calm the mind are good practices for Gemini’s, and yoga poses to release tension in the shoulders are also vital (ex: shoulder rolls, shrugging). Counseling and therapy can be helpful for Gemini’s to process their thoughts.
Solo and team sports are of interest to Gemini’s, as they have excellent hand-eye coordination. They also find joy through dancing and singing. Time out with friends after a game is beneficial as they thrive through socialization.
If it is uninteresting and repetitive, it is not for the Gemini, even if they know it is helpful to their well-being. Therefore, rotating a variety of exercise activities is ideal, but if there are too many distractions, self-care will be dropped in favor of other activities. Gemini’s are easily bored. To impact their intellectual self-care, a game of chess or attending a lecture is good for the Gemini, and they need to travel to satisfy their wanderlust.
Constance Stellas provides a list of self-care activities ideal for Gemini, and for the ease of my readers, I have categorized them by the different domains of self-care. For more on the various domains of self-care, please read a previous blog post.
You can also watch a Facebook LIVE video, where I explain the ten domains of self-care and practices associated with each domain.
Nutrition/Hydration (eating a variety of healthy and nutritious foods throughout the day)
- Eat popcorn and try it with unusual flavors to add some fun
- Drink Valerian Tea
- Spice up your food with Cumin
- Try new restaurants serving food you have never had before
- Since Gemini rules the lungs, look for foods that promote lung health such as carrots, apricots, and pumpkins.
Exercise (finding activities that make us feel good and moving our bodies regularly)
- Join a team sport
- Ride a tandem bike as Gemini’s are drawn to activities that require two people
Soothing Strategies (breathing exercises and pursuing activities that stimulate your physical, intellectual, interpersonal, or creative side to relax)
- Use Peppermint or Jasmine essential oil
- Seek out double terminated crystals such as quartz and aquamarine for balance
- Deep breathing exercises – if breathing feels congested use Lemon Eucalyptus oil
- Explore your curiosities
- Listen to choir, orchestra, or wind instrument music
- Research self-care and other health trends to activate the thinking side of Gemini
- Express yourself through color (can also be in the Environmental domain)
- Revisit childhood pastimes such as enjoying Cotton Candy
- Analyze poetry
- Record your thoughts
- Tell a story or start a blog – As a gifted communicator, find power in your written words
- Write notes to friends and loved one with beautiful stationery and a fountain pen
- Practice origami
- Play online games
- Take trips full of history (museums, national parks, and monuments, historical sites)
- Consider owning a pet that can help Gemini become more vulnerable, responsible, and dependable. Given Gemini’s affection for birds, perhaps a Parakeet would be a good fit.
- Shop at second-hand bookstores as books can transport us into other worlds, and a Gemini is fascinated by the history of old books.
Self-Awareness/Mindfulness (calming awareness of our thoughts, feelings, and body and engaging in meditation/mind-body practices)
- Yoga – look for a beginner’s class if you are new to it, but challenge yourself once you are a pro
- Find rest in Savasana – typically practiced at the end of a yoga class, but can help with relaxation and easing tension in the shoulders
- Try Qigong – a gentle exercise that has been used for thousands of years to prevent chronic pain, ease depression and anxiety, and build strength and muscle
- Slow down so you can be present – mindfulness
- Think first, speak second
- Embrace the twin mind by planning a variety of activities to fend off boredom – multitasking is encouraged for Gemini’s
- Meditate on the color yellow and blue – For those unfamiliar, check out a previous Facebook LIVE session; I lead you through a Calming Color meditation written by Inner Health Studio.
Relationships (spend time with people who support you and make you feel good)
- Find an online community that shares your interests
- Have one to one time with your friends
- Perform a duet at Karaoke
- Travel with friends
- Start a book club
Physical/Medical (attending to needs of our physical body and seeking medical care regularly)
- As ruler of the hands, keep them in good shape with a manicure and moisturize them often
- Keep your hands busy (play with a paperclip, silly putty, or other manipulatives)
Environment (setting up your physical work/living space to make you feel good)
- Keep air circulating in your space
- Use a white sage spray to cleanse the air
- Enjoy the season of Spring and re-create it throughout the year
- Place Eucalyptus in the shower
- Hang double mirrors side by side to tap into the duality of Gemini
- Upgrade your technology
Spiritual (experience meaning or a larger purpose in your life, read, watch, or listen to something inspirational)
- Spend time in nature perhaps learning or recognizing the calls of different birds as Gemini’s have an affinity for birds
- Listen to a TED talk or a podcast (hint hint: Dr. MC is launching one later in 2021)
So, for all the Gemini’s out there, does this resonate with you? I have many Gemini’s in my life, and of those, I am close to, I can see where pieces of this are curiously accurate. Even if you are not a Gemini, if something from this list calls to you, you should absolutely add it into your self-care routine!
Be sure to like, subscribe and love me across all my social media platforms for the most up-to-date information on self-care! You can also watch any of my previously recorded videos on the LIVE tab of Dr. MC’s Self-Care Cabaret or my YouTube Channel. OR catch me on Instagram, where I have been sharing more expertise on self-care! <3