Capricorn marks the 8th chapter in our Astrology & Self-Care series with our addition of the reader’s perspective, which means we are two-thirds of the way through exploring all the zodiac signs from this lens. Anyone born between December 22-January 19 is a Capricorn, according to Astrology.
The Winter solstice ushers in the Capricorn season rounding out the end of the calendar year. Ruled by Saturn and symbolized by the goat, Capricorn takes life very seriously and is interested in achieving success. This success can take a material form or be in the spiritual realm. At their worst, Capricorn can become obsessed and ruthless in their pursuits. However, their strong drive, enthusiasm, and work ethic sustain them as they climb towards their goals.
While Capricorn recognizes the importance of self-care, this is not something that comes naturally for them, but they desire to stay strong and fit to meet their goals. Capricorns are successful in their self-care when they realize that it must get done. If they view it as a mission, they are likely to engage in it more effectively.
However, it should be noted that even if you are not a Capricorn, these self-care tips are useful regardless of your zodiac sign.
As I mentioned, I had so much fun writing and sharing the Astrology & Self-Care series that I plan to keep this as an ongoing series for the blog but each time expanding upon the previous post.
This month, my friend, Derek, provides the reader perspective! I really enjoy learning what resonates with my readers.
I’ve always enjoyed reading my horoscope or assessments about my personality based on my horoscope because I feel very aligned with the core fundamentals of being a Capricorn – I take life more seriously than most and I do pride myself on achieving success (hitting both career as well as personal milestones). I consider myself down-to-earth and a straight shooter (sometimes called blunt, I prefer the term honest). Additionally I would prefer quality over quantity both in relationships and in possessions. I collect watches, EDC (Every Day Carry) items and I’m often known for following underground brands or up and coming musical artists – I generally don’t like things that are mainstream and I’m perfectly content to spend time with a small group of people versus at say a rave.
Capricorn & Self-Care
Capricorn & Self-Care
The following is my takeaway on Capricorn from “The Astrological Guide to Self-Care” by Constance Stellas.
Constance Stellas provides a list of self-care activities ideal for Capricorn, and for the ease of my readers, I have categorized them by the different domains of self-care. For more on the various domains of self-care, please watch my Talk-Back Tuesday session explaining the ten domains of self-care and practices associated with each domain. (Facebook/YouTube)
Nutrition/Hydration (eating a variety of healthy and nutritious foods throughout the day)
- Regular calcium consumption is important for Capricorns to keep their bones strong and healthy. Consider goat’s milk and cheese to stay connected to the symbol of Capricorn.
- Capricorns’ taste buds tend to love sour flavors and fermented foods such as vinegar, pickles, and soy sauce.
- Indulge in a lovely cocktail like a martini that is both classic and respectable. Consider this Classic Dry Martini recipe by filling a cocktail shaker with 2.5 oz of dry Gin, ½ oz of dry vermouth, and ice. Shake or stir for 20 seconds and strain into a martini glass. Use a lemon peel as a garnish if you wish.
- Capricorns enjoy cooking and should consider adding spices like rosemary and thyme to their dishes. Additionally, Capricorns should experiment with exotic flavors and zesty kinds of vinegar.
- Capricorns tend to love salty flavors and can sometimes overdo it. Consider trying sour salt, which is citric acid in place of salt when cooking. This is not a substitute for table salt. Be sure to research any recipes before using sour salt as a substitute.
Exercise (finding activities that make us feel good and moving our bodies regularly)
- Capricorns should be mindful about their participation in sports as they can overdo it and not stop even if they are at risk of an injury. They can push themselves too hard.
- Be sure to wear supportive sneakers to take extra care of your joints and save your knees. I recommend Brooks sneakers and be sure to buy new ones regularly as they do not last forever. For other footwear, Capricorns should not skimp on quality either.
- Consider mountain climbing or hiking as a great physical activity for Capricorns, which yields many mental and physical benefits.
- Ballet is a great sport for Capricorns as it appeals to their self-control and discipline.
Soothing Strategies (breathing exercises and pursuing activities that stimulate your physical, intellectual, interpersonal, or creative side to relax)
- Develop a meditation practice and utilize the color nut-brown when meditating. Brown symbolizes the warmth of the earth, and nuts symbolize the abundance of the earth. Picture yourself in an autumn forest surrounded by shades of warm brown to help you unwind and relax.
- Resilience, determination, and drive describe a Capricorn, but they must learn to stop and savor life. Capricorns should plan a ten-minute break every day to practice mindfulness. An hourglass can be a helpful tool for Capricorns to use to help signify breaks and meditation time.
- Dispel negative energy and harness the earth’s strength by meditating with black Hematite or wearing it as part of a piece of jewelry. Additionally, Turquoise (Capricorn’s birthstone) and Amber can provide healing qualities and ease anxiety.
- To help recharge Capricorn’s batteries, consider Smoky Quartz thought to ease pain in the body, and promote digestion.
- Tea tree oil is thought to have many healing qualities and should be explored to aid with healing ailments of the skin.
- Mantras can be helpful for Capricorns to assist them along their journey. Something like, “I find a way,” may be beneficial to Capricorns as once they have made up their mind about something or a goal, there is nothing that can stop them. Additionally, meditating on an empowering mantra such as “I build the structure of my life” while practicing deep, cleansing breaths can help build Capricorns’ self-confidence.
- The aroma of pine can help Capricorns with positivity, patience, and strength. Sandalwood also resonates with Capricorns as it helps lessen anxiety and promotes calmness.
- Consider a small, discrete tattoo to show your individuality. Something related to your Capricorn roots or another symbol with meaning to you would be ideal.
- Indulge in designer clothes for your wardrobe. It is better to have a few high-end pieces instead of a closet full of cheaply made clothing. If the budget does not allow for this, consider hunting for designer finds at a consignment or resale shop.
- With Capricorn’s love of anything classic, they should always have a perfectly tailored tuxedo on hand. Nothing exemplifies class like a well-made tuxedo. Sure, to make anyone but especially a Capricorn feel like a star.
- Embrace the briefcase for a successful business look, the ultimate accessory for organized minds like a Capricorn combining functionality and style.
- As an earth sign, Capricorns enjoy connecting with the earth. Creating art with clay could be appealing to Capricorns for this reason. Consider taking a class to learn how to create with clay.
- Deep-tissue massages can lead to improvements in pain, stiffness, range of motion, and overall joint health. Capricorns should indulge in these massages as they are prone to joint issues.
- Take deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth paying attention to the rise and fall or your belly as you breathe. Notice how calm you feel. Return to your breath as a quick and easy way to de-stress.
Self-Awareness/Mindfulness (calming awareness of thoughts, feelings, and body and engaging in meditation/mind-body practices)
- Capricorns have a hard time delegating, but this is critical to their self-care to ensure their work-life does not overshadow other vital areas of their lives.
- Yoga is a great practice for Capricorns, be sure to add the Mountain pose to your practice.
Rest (taking time to recharge the batteries and sleep)
- Capricorns tend to be very work-centric, which can leave them feeling burnt out. It is essential that they take time to quiet their mind before sleep to ensure they get good, quality rest at night. For helpful hints for better sleep, check out a previous blog post.
Relationships (spend time with people who support you and make you feel good)
- Laughter is really the best medicine for Capricorns. Getting together with friends can help keep the laughter going.
- Capricorns can benefit from counseling even if they view this as an indulgence. This therapeutic relationship can help Capricorns function and deal with life.
- Very loyal to their friends and family, Capricorns tend to be the glue holding loved ones together. Hosting a family reunion or a dinner party with friends would be an ideal event for Capricorn.
- Capricorns have a strong sense of family and traditions. Spending time creating a family tree is an excellent hobby for a Capricorn.
Physical/Medical (attending to needs of our physical body and seeking medical care regularly)
- Ruler of the bones and skeletal structure – maintaining calcium levels and proper nutrition is imperative for Capricorns. Furthermore, they should avoid high-impact sports as this can cause issues for their knees.
- It is also recommended that Capricorns stay on top of their regular dental appointments and cleanings as they can be prone to dental issues.
Environment (setting up your physical work/living space to make you feel good)
- With black as a signature color for Capricorns, seek exotic black flowers such as roses to add to your décor.
- Resonate with elements of the earth by adorning outdoor spaces with terracotta pots, statues, or sculptures. Speaking of outdoor décor for a Capricorn, consider planting a Birch tree or visiting a local park with Birch trees and spend time there.
- Pewter should be part of Capricorns’ home décor as it appeals to both their love of history and simple quality pieces. Additionally, antique black amethyst glass is sophisticated and simple, a winning combo for a Capricorn.
- Consider using a blackboard in your home or office space to appeal to Capricorn’s nostalgic side. A great place for reminders, notes, and more. It could even be a fabulous way to start a self-care board. To get started check out a previous blog post.
- Investing in teak furniture can be a nice touch for a Capricorn home as they appreciate the fine craftsmanship.
- Show off your accomplishments (framed diplomas, certificates) as well as artwork depicting what you do for work in your home décor. Keep the framing classic to match your style but seeing this every day at home with undoubtedly put a smile on your face.
Spiritual (experience meaning or a larger purpose in your life, read, watch, or listen to something inspirational)
- Connect with famous Capricorns such as Elvis by listening to his music while doing chores or when you need a boost.
- Take a break and relieve stress by reading stories that deal with real-life obstacles. Capricorn feels inspired by characters who behave in realistic ways to meet their goals.
- With their love of history and tradition, Capricorns should plan visits to old churches and cloisters either locally or in other countries if the budget allows. Visiting ancient trees is also a great experience for Capricorns as they connect very well with the earth.
- Bring the simple energy of a panda bear into your home through decor choices or by even having a stuffed panda bear animal in your bedroom to promote peace and balance.
Capricorn, what do you think? Does this sound like you?
Be sure to like, subscribe, and love me across all my social media platforms for the most up-to-date information on self-care! Be sure to check out the recently launched Dr. MC shop and bi-weekly podcast.