Another muffin variation? Wowzer. Yes, it is true, here is my latest healthy oatmeal muffin creation. This time I tried freshly grated Ginger, diced Pear and a light sprinkle of unsweetened coconut flakes on top! Delicious.
Before we get into the recipe. Let’s recap the muffin variations I have shared so far:
- Cranberry Orange Oatmeal Muffins
- Lemon Poppy Seed Oatmeal Muffins
- Pomegranate Lemon Poppy Seed Oatmeal Muffins
Each one is so tasty. I enjoy mixing it up. I prep a batch of these muffins every Sunday and it is a perfect breakfast for the week!
As we enter the warmer months, I plan to continue creating variations of this muffin to incorporate different fruits. I think Strawberry Lemon or Raspberry Lime would be delightful.
A note about the unsweetened coconut flakes. They are totally optional, but for this muffin it was a nice addition. I only tried it on a couple of them to compare it to the traditional topping of sugar in the raw. Both are tasty.
Here is how to make them yourself…
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Ginger
- 8 oz of whole milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup applesauce (4oz individual cup)
- ½ cup of almonds* (can be substituted for another type of nut or skipped based on preference)
- ½ cup of walnuts* (can be substituted for a different kind of nut or omitted based on preference)
- 1 cup of diced Pears (2 small pears)
- 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds (optional)
- 3-4 teaspoons of unsweetened coconut flakes OR sugar in the raw for the top sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a 12-count muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and set large baking cups. I like to do both to ensure there will be no sticking.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, baking powder, grated ginger, whole milk, eggs, and applesauce.
- Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Add in flax, and chia seeds and mix.
- Add in diced pears
- Add in nuts and gently toss until distributed evenly throughout the batter.
- Divide batter amongst all 12 muffin cups.
- Add a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut flakes
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until they have set though and are golden brown on top.
- Cool and enjoy!
If you try this recipe, be sure to post a picture and tag Dr. MC’s Self-Care Cabaret on Facebook or Instagram. I would love to see your creations!
You can even watch my 30 second Reel on Instagram demonstrating how easy these muffins are to make!
Be sure to like, subscribe and love me across all my social media platforms for the most up to date information on self-care! You can also watch any of my previously recorded videos on the LIVE tab of Dr. MC’s Self-Care Cabaret or my YouTube Channel.