We are cruising through the zodiac as we welcome Libra to the Astrology and self-care blog series. I have been enjoying exploring self-care through the zodiac lens, and I hope you have as well.
Libra is the second air sign in the zodiac ruled by Mercury. Libra season begins with the autumn equinox. A time when the day strikes the perfect balance between day and night. Anyone born between September 23- October 22 is a Libra, according to Astrology. In a previous blog post, I introduced self-care according to the zodiac, and as promised, we will dive into the specific 12 zodiac signs as we are in each season. We have already looked at Gemini, Cancer, Leo, and Virgo.
However, it should be noted that even if you are not a Libra, these self-care tips are useful regardless of your zodiac sign.
The following is my takeaway on Libra from “The Astrological Guide to Self-Care” by Constance Stellas.
Libra is a team player, often putting the “we” before “I” and always references life in terms of relationships. Libra strives to balance the “we” and “me” by seeing all sides of every situation, leading Libra to potentially lose their own opinion in the mix if they are not mindful of it. Symbolized by the scales, Libra is the only sign represented by an inanimate object. When it comes to self-care, Libras can become focused on others and neglect themselves in the process. They need frequent reminders that self-care IS other care.
The great arbiter, at their best, Libra can fight fairly and judge equally, but out of balance, Libra can be condescending and aloof. Libras generally are able to balance the extremes of their personality gracefully.
Libra does not like conflict and needs time alone to sort out their thoughts. Activities that involve both physical and mental skills are ideal for Libra. Typically Libras are adept at shifting their mindset and reframing situations, but they can still benefit from a counselor or therapist to help sort the whirling thoughts in their head.
Motivated by a sense of vanity, Libra has to look good and works hard to achieve this through their self-care.
Constance Stellas provides a list of self-care activities ideal for Libra, and for the ease of my readers, I have categorized them by the different domains of self-care.
For more on the various domains of self-care, please read a previous blog post. You can also watch my Talk-Back Tuesday session explaining the ten domains of self-care and practices associated with each domain. (Facebook/YouTube)
Nutrition/Hydration (eating a variety of healthy and nutritious foods throughout the day)
- Black cherries and almonds are healthy snack options for Libras as they offer many health benefits, including anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants.
- Assemble a love potion to sip while meditating.
- The book provides the following recipe – mix 1 cup of milk and 2 teaspoons of honey in a small pot over medium heat. Add in a ½ teaspoon of coriander, 3 drops of vanilla extract, and 1 drop of rose flavoring. Stir until mixed and warm (not boiling), pour into a wide cup, and enjoy.
- Sipping warm milk is a helpful way to relax as well if you do not want to add the other ingredients.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water. Perhaps with a few drops of Bach Flower Remedies and sipping throughout the day to help ease anxiety.
- Eat nutrient-rich foods such as cauliflower, which is an excellent source of vitamin B and calcium which helps calm the nervous system. Additionally, Kiwi fruit can help Libras manage stress and sleep.
- Consider adding the supplement St. John’s wort to your diet to help ease stress and remain in balance. Please consult with your physician before taking this.
- Celebrate an occasion with a cocktail. Consider a Grasshopper with it’s striking green color and rich aroma; it is perfect for a Libra.
- Indulge your senses with flavorful candy such as Buttercrunch.
- As long as you are not allergic to bees, honey is great to have in your diet.
Exercise (finding activities that make us feel good and moving our bodies regularly)
- Graceful exercises such as ballet, tennis, and golf are appealing to this sign, but also martial arts are a good way to release pent-up energy.
- Go ballroom dancing with a friend. This is great exercise and a way to connect on a deeper level.
- Take a window-shopping walk to help lift the spirits and appreciate the beauty in the shops.
Soothing Strategies (breathing exercises and pursuing activities that stimulate your physical, intellectual, interpersonal, or creative side to relax)
- Indulging in a warm bath is a great way to Libra to relax and engage their sensual side. Baths should be a luxurious experience that include candles, bubbles, soft music, etc.
- Plush textures and opulent fabrics feel good for Libra, so it is best to invest in satin pajamas for that heavenly feeling.
- Deep breathing exercises are ideal for Libras to help them step back from an issue and see all sides.
- Spend time in open-air spaces and connect with nature to recharge your batteries.
- Practice yoga poses and consider Extended Triangle Pose to help promote balance.
- Indulge in a Swedish massage, preferably at a location that is aesthetically pleasing.
- Spark creativity or unwind by listening to music that has a soothing rhythm, such as John Lennon’s “Imagine” (a fellow Libra).
- Libras love adding a touch of class to their daily routines, so perhaps indulge in a pair of leather driving gloves or another accessory that tickles your fancy.
- Use lavender scented items to help restore joy.
- Keep pictures of loved ones around you at all times.
Self-Awareness/Mindfulness (calming awareness of thoughts, feelings, and body and engaging in meditation/mind-body practices)
- Practice gratitude by complimenting people to spark a connection. Also leave notes for your loved ones and consider sending Valentines out to celebrate your romantic, loving nature.
- Repeat the Libra mantra, “We balance ourselves and each other.”
- Don’t be afraid to show your true self. Often clouded by a desire to be glamorous, it is important that Libras let their guard down and maybe wear something that may be “out of style” by their standards or go without makeup occasionally.
- When meditating, consider using an Opal stone or Ametrine to help balance emotions.
- Often the mediator able to see both sides; a Libra should practice taking the reins and stepping into the leadership role from time to time.
- Be sure to have plenty of pastel colors in your wardrobe as they offer calming qualities for Libras.
- Splurge on a haircut to stay looking and feeling fresh.
- Be sure to keep your finances in order and balanced.
- Rejuvenate by listening to your favorite songs. Create a playlist for ease of access, and so you can boost your energy easily at any time.
Rest (taking time to recharge the batteries and sleep)
- Sleep is critical for Libras to keep their balance and control of their thoughts.
- Be sure to manage anxieties before bed and develop a routine that may include writing thoughts down and creating a to-do list. Other sleep tips such as gentle yoga poses and soothing music may help Libras get the restful sleep they require.
- Consider taking a trip to China, an ideal location for Libras with their appreciation for history, beauty, and tradition.
Relationships (spend time with people who support you and make you feel good)
- Libras thrive on relationships and should seek out other Libras.
- Libras are very social but this can lead to late nights and overindulgence, so it is important that they remain in balance with their social calendar and their down time.
- Set boundaries with friends if necessary and let your friends know the boundaries (example: not staying out past 9PM on a weeknight).
- Spend time with close friends having deep conversations. An attractive location for a Libra would be to do this at Teahouse and indulge in the luxury of an afternoon tea date.
Physical/Medical (attending to needs of our physical body and seeking medical care regularly)
- Ruler of the kidneys, Libras should take care to make sure they are functioning properly at all times. To aid in this effort, Libra should ensure that their lower back is always warm and refrain from sitting in damp clothes.
Environment (setting up your physical work/living space to make you feel good)
- Libras should decorate with a sense of luxury such as Art Deco pieces and gold mirrors.
- Symmetry and balance are important factors when decorating for Libras.
- A romantic at heart, Libras should keep their romantic trinkets in a special place so they can take a quick trip down memory lane when needed.
- Pink is a power color for Libras, and they should used in their décor.
- Consider nurturing a Strawberry Begonia plant for a romantic vibe or plant morning glories to evoke a sophisticated atmosphere.
- No one thrives in a cluttered and chaotic space, so be sure to donate any unused clothing and belongings.
- Your home should have space for Libras to feel grounded, take a break, and reset. A self-care space such as this is a great way to find peace. In this Talk-Back Tuesday session. I explain more about a self-care space. (Facebook/YouTube)
Self-Compassion (supportive, encouraging self-talk/feel your feelings)
- Write in an emotions journal as to not keep them bottled up but release them into the journal. This is also helpful for recognizing patterns in your behavior.
Spiritual (experience meaning or a larger purpose in your life, read, watch, or listen to something inspirational)
- Seek out the works of fellow Libras such as Anne Rice or F. Scott Fitzgerald to nurture your thought-provoking side
- Consider volunteering for a social justice cause.
Libras, does this resonate with you? Even if you are not a Libra, as always if something from this list calls to you, you should add it into your self-care routine.
Be sure to like, subscribe and love me across all my social media platforms for the most up to date information on self-care! You can also watch any of my previously recorded videos on the LIVE tab of Dr. MC’s Self-Care Cabaret or my YouTube Channel.