Since COVID, I have tried to expand our healthy food options. Instead of skipping breakfast or grabbing a Kind bar on the go, I have been taking the time to make easy, healthy breakfast options. Proper nutrition is an essential aspect of self-care. Ideally, we want to eat three meals a day and a mixture of nutritious, healthy, colorful fruits and vegetables. It can also be helpful to plan your meals out in advance.
A couple of months ago, I started by making overnight oats, and although those were tasty, it was not quite the right option for an easy breakfast for us. Then my mom found a recipe for Apple Oatmeal Muffins by Clean and Delicious, and they were instantly a hit. We made ours with Apple and craisins. I do think the muffins need the “yum bonus” on the top and the addition of nuts to the recipe.
After a few weeks of eating the Apple version of these muffins, I decided to get creative and try my hand at a new Dr. MC version. And I am proud to present Dr. MC’s Original Cranberry Orange Oatmeal Muffins. They are super easy to make and doesn’t require a thousand pans with an epic mess. They last in the fridge and freeze well. Plus, they are bursting with flavor. The cranberries are abundant, and you can actually taste the orange, which is just what I wanted. The sprinkle of sugar in the raw balances the flavor out perfectly and adds a nice little treat. These muffins are full of healthy ingredients, and one muffin holds me until lunchtime. I enjoy them right out of the fridge; my husband lets his get to room temperature; however, you could warm it as well before enjoying it.
Here is how to make them yourself…
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 6 oz of whole milk
- 2 oz of fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup applesauce (4oz individual cup)
- 1 heaping cup of fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup of almonds* (can be substituted for another type of nut or skipped based on preference)
- 1/4 cup of walnuts*(can be substituted for another type of nut or skipped based on preference)
- 3 teaspoons of sugar in the raw for the top sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a 12-count muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and set large baking cups. I like to do both to ensure there will be no sticking.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, baking powder, orange zest, whole milk, orange juice, eggs, and applesauce.
- Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Add in cranberries and nuts and gently toss until distributed evenly throughout the batter.
- Divide batter amongst all 12 muffin cups.
- Add a sprinkle of sugar in the raw on the top of the muffins for a bonus. (Optional) For all 12 muffins, I used about 3 teaspoons of sugar in the raw.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until they have set though and are golden brown on top.
- Cool and enjoy!
Be sure to like, subscribe and love me across all my social media platforms for the most up to date information on self-care! You can also watch any of my previously recorded videos on the LIVE tab of Dr. MC’s Self-Care Cabaret or my YouTube Channel.
<3 Lastly, stay tuned for the launch of my courses in 2021 centered around making peace with food, learning to love your body, and engaging in joyful movement! <3