Hello, Virgo! Next up in our series of Astrology & Self-care, the second earth sign in the zodiac ruled by Mercury. Virgo swoops in during the late summer to help us transition to autumn. Anyone born between August 23- September 22 is a Virgo, according to Astrology. In a previous blog post, I introduced self-care according to the zodiac, and as promised, we will dive into the specific 12 zodiac signs as we are in each season. We have already looked at Gemini, Cancer, and Leo.
However, it should be noted that even if you are not a Gemini, Cancer, Leo, or Virgo, these self-care tips are useful regardless of your zodiac sign.
The following is my takeaway on Virgo from “The Astrological Guide to Self-Care” by Constance Stellas.
Virgo is a sign of service to others, gathering and analyzing information to share. Virgo is most balanced when they can use their analytical skills for the betterment of themselves and others. A lover of all things related to communication, this sign truly wants to make the world a better place. Think Mother Teresa, who was also a Virgo. Conversely, when Virgos are critical of themselves and others, they are irritable and impossible to please. Virgos can become bogged down in the details in their quest for perfection and not see the big bigger picture.
Virgo is symbolized by a Maiden holding bundles of wheat from a harvest. In Greek mythology, the harvest maiden was associated with Persephone.
Virgos do well when they can see the statistics and check off items on their to-do lists as they are very goal-oriented, but they require assurances they are on the right path. If not careful, Virgos can become overworked. Planning and scheduling self-care activities are ideal for a Virgo to stay on task. They should also track their health in a journal paying attention to trends and observing how they feel.
Luckily, self-care comes rather effortlessly for Virgos as they are very sensitive and prone to health concerns. Hence, Virgos may seek alternative healing modalities and understand the importance of caring for oneself. When out of balance, Virgo can be a bit of a hypochondriac and run from doctor to doctor trying to cure their ailments, but typically they can listen to their bodies and determine what is best.
Constance Stellas provides a list of self-care activities ideal for Virgo, and for the ease of my readers, I have categorized them by the different domains of self-care.
For more on the various domains of self-care, please read a previous blog post. You can also watch my Talk-Back Tuesday session, where I explain the ten domains of self-care and practices associated with each domain. (Facebook/YouTube)
Nutrition/Hydration (eating a variety of healthy and nutritious foods throughout the day)
- Ruler of the intestines, Virgos can be prone to food sensitivities, and therefore should avoid junk food or food that is too spicy.
- Consider supplementing your diet in the winter months with Royal Jelly to improve your health (not recommended if you have asthma or are allergic to bees).
- To restore balance, try Bach’s Crab Apple Remedy, which can be taken directly from the bottle or mixed with water.
- Salads made with Arugula are an excellent choice for Virgos. Try a Lemon dressing, adding berries, and sharp cheeses.
- Host a formal high tea with your friends and make it fancy with decadent goodies.
- Add Barley to your meals, a nutrient-dense ancient whole gain with an impressive array of health benefits.
- To aid in smooth digestion, increase your fiber, take licorice, sip peppermint tea, and add fennel to your cooking. Additionally, go meatless periodically and focus on a plant-based diet to help keep your digestive system happy.
- Embrace your inner organizer by planning your meals.
Exercise (finding activities that make us feel good and moving our bodies regularly)
- Virgos should try exercises that are simple and do not require a lot of equipment such as jogging, tennis, swimming, dancing, running track, or martial arts.
- Not competitive by nature, individual exercises, and sports are ideal.
- Yoga is another great exercise for Virgos, try learning Extended Locust Pose or the Wind-Relieving pose to strengthen your back, abdominal muscles, improve posture, and massage your digestive tract.
- Try a Pound class, which is a drum-based, high energy workout class that is lots of fun.
Soothing Strategies (breathing exercises and pursuing activities that stimulate your physical, intellectual, interpersonal, or creative side to relax)
- Hypnotherapy can help you relax, especially if you experience any phobias.
- Take at least three breathing breaks throughout the day, concentrating on extending the exhale and visualizing a relaxing place.
- Consider keeping a piece of unpolished Pink Jasper handy as it is a powerful ally for Virgos promoting grounding.
- Express yourself creatively by getting crafty sewing, pressing flowers, or another appealing activity.
- Spend quality time with a furry friend such as a cat, which can help Virgos regain balance and slow down.
- Use Lavender scented items to relax, such as candles, essential oils, a diffuser, sprays, etc.
- Recite strength-based affirmations such as “I effortlessly make order in my world,” or “I can, and I will.”
- Attend Ballet productions or other live events where you can take in the beauty of the performance and all the aspects of creating such a spectacle.
- Playing chess or completing number puzzles are great ways for Virgos to stimulate their analytical mind.
- Read something written by a fellow Virgo such as Leo Tolstoy, Stephen King, Agatha Christie, Mary Shelley, etc.
- Indulge in an all-natural body scrub and try using a Bentonite Clay mask to help you feel rejuvenated and refreshed.
Self-Awareness/Mindfulness (calming awareness of thoughts, feelings, and body and engaging in meditation/mind-body practices)
- Practice gratitude by writing down what you are grateful for every day. Here are some ways to get started.
- Start a Bullet Journal to help keep track of everything in an organized way that is ideal for Virgos.
- Treat yourself now and again to something you have been desiring.
Rest (taking time to recharge the batteries and sleep)
- Promote a good night’s sleep by investing in new white sheets and only keep necessities on your nightstand. Consider spraying fresh linens with a relaxing essential oil.
- Take a break by planning a trip to view exotic spring flowers and breathe in the luxurious scents.
Relationships (spend time with people who support you and make you feel good)
- Virgos should consider speaking to a counselor or therapist to help them sort out all their thoughts. Group therapy is also something that Virgos should consider to connect with other like-minded people experiencing the same challenges.
- Offer to help your friends who are experiencing difficulties.
- Enjoy a meal with your friends.
Physical/Medical (attending to needs of our physical body and seeking medical care regularly)
- Virgos can worry about their health, but regular checkups are sufficient along with other healthy habits.
- When experiencing stomach issues, Virgos should seek a doctor’s opinion to rule out an infection, but it is likely caused by stress.
Environment (setting up your physical work/living space to make you feel good)
- Virgos thrive when their belongings are neat and organized, so be sure to declutter your space regularly and donate what no longer is needed. Consider utilizing a Chinese apothecary cabinet or other study furniture to get organized.
- Keeping toys and other interactive gadgets can help Virgos take a break during the workday. Try having items such as a slinky, Zen garden, Etch a Sketch, coloring book, etc. at your desk.
- Plant flower bulbs in the fall, so in the spring you will have lovely flowers to brighten your day.
Self-Compassion (supportive, encouraging self-talk/feel your feelings)
- Embrace imperfection and try to look at life from a different perspective. Re-framing negative thoughts and shifting your mindset is a powerful tool for the self-care toolbox. You have to learn to love ALL parts of yourself.
- Visualize “letting go,” by closing your eyes and visualize a situation tied to you by a dozen strings. As you breathe, imagine cutting each of the strings and watch it gently float away never to be seen again.
Spiritual (experience meaning or a larger purpose in your life, read, watch, or listen to something inspirational)
- Virgos have a deep desire to help others, so volunteering is an ideal practice for this sign.
I have a couple of close friends who are Virgos, and from my perspective, this is spot on. What do you think?
Even if you are not a Virgo, as always, if something from this list calls to you, you should add it into your self-care routine!
Also, I am taking a break from the Talk-Back Tuesday Facebook LIVE sessions while I restructure my plan for delivering you meaningful content and tips for better self-care. However, you can always watch a session you may have missed on the LIVE tab of Dr. MC’s Self-Care Cabaret or my YouTube Channel.
Be sure to like, subscribe and love me across all my social media platforms for the most up to date information on self-care!